Monday, September 3, 2012

How to make spam musubi

Although spam musubi is very popular in Hawaii, I never thought to try one there. It wasn't until a recent trip to Portland, Oregan at a food cart, did I think "where have you been all my life??" I normally don't like spam. I don't know what type of "meat" it is which is why I would never buy it. But when you combine a slice of spam that has been pan fried in teriyaki sauce, layered with sushi rice and wrapped in seaweed... mmmmmm! 

I made some last night so let me show you how easy it can be! (By the way, this is my very first tutorial so bear with me if I'm not all that clear)

All you need is:


1 can of Spam
1 tbsps of teriyaki sauce
2 cups of sushi rice (like Kokuho)
2-3 tbsps of sushi vinegar
4 sheets of seaweed (Nori)



I took one can of spam and I sliced it up into 8 pieces. I fried it up until it was brown on both sides.


After it's brown on both sides, I added about a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce. This caramelizes the spam and gives it a nice sweet taste.


I prepared some sushi rice in my rice cooker. I used Kokuho brand and after waiting for the rice to cool, I added some sushi rice vinegar and carefully mixed it. I didn't have a musubi mold (apparently you can buy it from Amazon) so I found something that was a similar shape. My ginger grinder had a catcher so I wet it with cold water (so the sushi rice wouldn't stick to it) and put sushi rice into my mold. 


My seaweed (or Nori) was already cut in half width wise. You can use scissors or if your Nori is fresh, you can just fold it and it will snap in half. I then plop the rice on top and place a piece of spam on top.


I then fold one side up and over. On the other side, I will dampen the edge of the seaweed with some water to be sure that my seaweed will stay together in a neat little pack like so:


TADA!!
This is my second time making spam musubi. I'm very interested in adding more things to this neatly packaged portable snack. Maybe caramelized onions between the spam and sushi rice. Mmmmmmm! Be creative and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment